What is the Difference Between Metrics and Analytics?




I know, I have been asked many times about the difference between metrics and analytics. Luk Smeyers with INostix in Europe has created a very cool list of words that show the difference between the two concepts. Thanks Luk!


A lot of my clients and contacts are asking me quite often: "In a few words, what's the difference between HR metrics and HR analytics?" For a few weeks, I have been writing down such words in my beloved iphone (the 'Notes' app). Here you go...enjoy!


Metrics

Analytics

1. Tangible

Intangible

2. Accounting

Finance

3. Past

Future

4. Data

Insights

5. Large

Selective

6. Transactional

Strategic

7. Information

Transformation

8. Low value

Differentiator

9. Gathering

Asking questions

10. Reporting

Analysing

11. HR Scorecard

Business Scorecard

12. HR ownership

Management ownership

13. Controlling

Optimising

14. Inside-in perspective

Outside-in perspective


What other differences have you seen or experienced between Metrics and Analytics?